Nichirei believes in the importance of “prioritizing customers, safety, and quality.”
As a holding company, we constantly strive to: be aware of changes in the environment; discover risks; monitor quality assurance efforts by Group companies; and improve quality assurance systems.
Recognizing safety as an integral part of food consumption, all Nichirei employees—in the Quality Assurance Division and working on the front lines—are mindful of the need for safety when products are delivered to customers.
In support of everyday food consumption, we ensure our customers’ peace of mind by ensuring that we are recognized as a Company on which they can rely.
The Nichirei Group has put in place fundamental policies on quality assurance based on the Group’s management principles. The policies aim to ensure the quality and safety of all Nichirei Group products and services, to prevent consumer health hazards, as well as to maintain and improve overall Nichirei Group quality management and assurance standards, and ensure customer satisfaction.
The policies focus on issues related to food defense and food fraud issues, as required by food safety management systems and international standards.
Fundamental Policies on Quality Assurance
- Compliance with legal requirements regulating food products.
- Compliance with norms and standards indicated by industry groups.
- Recognition of customer and partner needs regarding food safety and security, as well as making efforts to maintain Group quality management and assurance capabilities.
- Incorporation of food safety measures, food crisis management, steps to ensure food defense, and food fraud prevention initiatives to protect consumer health.
To verify that management is following fundamental policies, Nichirei has taken its efforts to the next level by conducting internal audits and quality audits based on international standards such as the Food Safety Management System.
To avoid conditions that threaten product safety, the Nichirei Group analyzes factors that can cause food-based harm, attacks, and counterfeiting within processes; defines important elements of control; and manages product safety.
Based on the need for food safety, food defense, and food fraud prevention, we take proactive measures by following a strict management system to prevent any threats to product safety.
- Guarantees that food is not harmful to consumers when cooked and consumed as intended.
- The process to ensure the security of food, food ingredients, feed or food packaging from all forms of intentional malicious attack including ideologically motivated attack leading to contamination or unsafe product.（Source: GFSI Benchmarking Requirements Version 2020.1）
- A collective term encompassing the deliberate and intentional substitution, addition, tampering or misrepresentation of food, food ingredients, feed, food packaging or labelling, product information or false or misleading statements made about a product for economic gain that could impact consumer health.（Source: GFSI Benchmarking Requirements Version 2020.1）
Food Crisis Management
- Stringent precautions are in place regarding food and other products, to preclude threats—be they incidents or accidents—to their safety that might adversely impact health.
That said, should an incident occur, the Group has a system in place to quickly investigate and verify incidents and disseminate accurate information using appropriate procedures.