Policy and Initiatives
The Nichirei Group undertakes environmental conservation activities based on three major issues: prevention of global warming, promotion of sustainable recycling of resources, and symbiosis with nature.
The Group’s environment-related approach is summarized in its environment- and biodiversity-related policies.
The Nichirei Group’s Environmental Policy (Revised April 1, 2021)
If the Nichirei Group is to pass on to future generations the natural abundance that is the source of food and good health-and to continue providing freshness and good taste by using superior products and a first-class logistics network-together with our stakeholders we must reduce the environmental impact of our business activities throughout the entire supply chain and help create a sustainable society.
■ Climate change initiatives
We seek to reduce greenhouse gas emissions produced as a result of our food-related business activities, throughout the entire supply chain, including procurement, production, storage, and distribution, in order to realize a carbon-free society. In addition, we will bolster business continuity by engaging in the analysis of and adaptation to the effects(risks and opportunities) of climate change.
■ Promotion of sustainable recycling
In addition to making the best use of our limited natural resources, the Nichirei Group is reducing the waste resulting from its business activities, reusing resources, and recycling. throughout the entire supply chain. We also are helping realize a recycling-based society by planning the recycling of resources and purchasing these resources.
■ Symbiosis with nature
The Group, recognizing that natural resources are the product of diverse ecosystems and life forms, is making an effort to live in symbiosis with nature through efforts to sustainably utilize and protect the blessings of nature(water resources, fishery resources, etc.) used throughout the supply chain as well as conserve and restore biodiversity.
Since the Nichirei Group believes that environmental problems are a major management issue, environmental considerations color all its business activities.
1. Creating and implementing a management system
Given the environmental problems involved in the creation of a sustainable society, we are constantly evaluating and reviewing our activities so as to maintain and improve our management system. This we do in addition to promoting problem-solving activities, based on the implementation of relevant regulations and the establishment of environmental targets.
2. Legal compliance
We have created our own standards, based on our grasp of the relevant laws and demands of society.
3. Environmentally appropriate products and services
We promote services and conscientious craftsmanship that works to minimize environmental impact at each stage, from the planning, design, and development of each product and service through to procurement, production, distribution, sale, use, and disposal.
4. Increasing awareness
We use environmental education and consciousness-raising activities to increase individual awareness, and proactively undertake environmental conservation activities as both employees and citizens.
5. In harmony with society
In addition to proactively disclosing information, we participate in regional environmental activities and, together with society at large, pursue various avenues to help improve the environment.
Nichirei Group Bio-diversity Policy
Bio-diversity is both the foundation on which the survival of life forms depend, and a valuable asset that we must pass on to future generations.
Our lines of business both are made possible by, and have an impact on, biodiversity and its many benefits. This we firmly grasp, and are constantly seeking to cooperate and collaborate with our stakeholders in order to conserve biodiversity and use it sustainably.
- For our raw ingredient procurement we work with our partners to ensure that the materials from fisheries and processed items we procure reflect the principles of sustainable use.
- When it comes to the biological resources concerned in our business activities, we do our best to provide them as products to our customers and to recycle resources into fertilizer, feed, and energy, as well as use them to their fullest extent for the sake of society.
- We are promoting sustainable development by conserving energy and resources; adopting a policy of reducing, reusing, and recycling; encouraging green procurement; introducing harmful substance management; and working to reduce environmental impact on biodiversity.
- We put great effort into activities that contribute to the preservation and restoration of biodiversity in our facilities, land, and adjoining areas, and in areas surrounding the sources of our raw ingredients.
- We are helping create a society that nurtures biodiversity through environment-related consciousness-raising activities and information sharing.